Restoration Work

As well as new build narrowboats, Brinklow are also dedicated to the restoration of narrowboats. This mostly includes the re-plating of ex working narrowboats, fabricating new cabins and hot-riveting to the original narrowboat build plans.

 

  • Antlia

    Antlia is a 'Small Northwich' motor boat built by W. J. Yarwood and Sons for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company in 1935. She is of iron composite construction (iron sides and an elm bottom) and was used for carrying until the 1960s when…

  • Aquila

    Aquila is a 1935 'Little Woolwich' motor built by Harland and Wolff for the star class fleet of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company. She was delivered to the GUCCCo on the 21st June 1935 and fitted with a National 2DM, number 46286. Upon…

  • Beatty

    Beatty was built in 1937 by W.J. Yarwood and Sons of Northwich for the Samuel Barlow carrying fleet as an iron composite narrowboat (iron sides and an elm bottom), the only composite iron narrowboat built new for Barlow's. In 1961 she was s…

  • Capricorn

    Capricorn was built by Harland and Wolff in 1935 as a 71ft 'small woolwich' motor. During the war, Capricorn was used as a training boat. She was then sold to British Waterways where she worked around London, then around Hilmorton. In the 1…

  • Electra

    Electra is a type 3 Bantock boat built by Thomas Bantock and Sons, she was originally used as a BCN 'joey' or 'day boat' carrying coal over short distances and towed by tugs, in recent years she was owned by the Black Country Living Museum.…

  • Greenock

    Greenock is a 'Big Woolwich' motor built in 1936 by Harland & Wolff as part of the town class fleet of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company. She passed into the British Waterways carrying fleet in 1948 and was later leased to Willow W…

  • Mecca

    Mecca was built for London Midland & Scottish Railway Company (LMS) as a 69' 11" open iron day boat in 1928. She was owned by British Waterways until 1990 where she worked on the Stratford Canal. The restoration included removing the bu…

  • Regine

    Regine is semi-traditional narrowboat which has been lengthened by 8ft at Brinklow Boat Services and has also been over plated up to the water line.

  • Rotterdam

    This is a 60ft by 10ft 6inch motor barge. This fine dutch barge is being repaired by Steve Priest, Simon Wain and the owner Martin Clarke. Under the water line the hull is being over plated, whilst above the water line the worn plates are b…

  • Rufford

    Rufford was built in 1936 for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company by W.J. Yarwood and Sons of Northwich for the town class fleet before entering the BW nationalised fleet in 1948. BBS have undertaken extensive work to the hull, including…

  • Scorpio

    Scorpio is a 'Small Northwich' motor built by W. J. Yarwood and Sons as one of twelve iron composite narrowboats for the star class fleet of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company. In 1948, Scorpio entered service with British Waterways and…

  • Snipe

    Brinklow Boat Services have replaced the bottom and chines on Snipe right from the stem to the stern. Also Simon Wain built a new engine room and back cabin which was fitted out by Rex Wain. The owner, Richard Wood, built the main steel cab…

  • Starling

    The current owner, David Jones, purchased Starling in early 1996 and had the shortened boat restored by Simon Wain. A new 30ft central section was added using recovered knees from a scrapped wooden boat, and she was re-launched in October 1…

  • Laurel

    Laurel is an ex Fellows Morton and Clayton motor built in 1913. From 1949 until 1960, Laurel worked for British Waterways on the Coventry Canal until becoming sunk at Hartshill. She was sold into private ownership in 1964 and was conve…

  • England

    England is an ex Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd butty boat. She was converted to a diesel powered motor boat in 1937 by Yarwoods of Northwich. England was converted for pleasure use when she passed into private ownership, she has recently …

  • Reginald

    Reginald is currently at Brinklow for an engine change. Reginald is an ex Birmingham Canal Navigations day boat, built in the late 1800s/early 1900s. She is also at Brinklow for replacement of the steel bottom and of the chine angle. 

  • Capricorn being lengthened

    The ex GUCCCo Little Woolwich motor Capricorn was shortened to 50ft after passing into private ownership in the 1950s. The original hull sides were saved and remained on the bank at Stockton for use as a shed. Using the Little Woolwich Dene…